What is Power BI Developer?
A Power BI developer is a subject matter expert in using Microsoft Power BI tools to enable organizations to implement data-driven decisions by drawing insights based on hidden data patterns and trends in data. They extensively deploy easy-to-understand and interactive data visualizations and dashboards to create a narrative on data inference and assist business users in making informed decisions.
Power BI developers have deep expertise in Power BI applications, which are a suite of business analytics tools from Microsoft. These enable users to connect to various data sources, transform data, create reports and dashboards, and share insights across an organization. While the Power BI developers have deep technical knowledge to apply the skills for raw data analysis, they also have a good understanding of explaining the uncovered insights within the dataset to enable impactful and analysis-driven outputs for the end customers.
Table of contents
- Power BI Developers are Microsoft Power BI professionals who play vital roles in translating data into actionable insights.
- Power BI developers play a variety of roles and responsibilities, such as data integration, data modeling, data transformation, and data visualization.
- Building strong skills in Power BI tools and deep technical expertise are the keys to excelling as a Power BI developer.
- Acquiring professional Power BI developer certification in Power BI developer courses along with hands-on practical experience can provide you an edge in terms of becoming a skilled Power BI developer.
- Building your Power BI developer resume with the required expertise is important for potential opportunities in this field.
Power BI Developer Explained
Typically, Power BI developers work on large datasets ranging across different data platforms and formats. To perform the analysis, they leverage the Microsoft Power BI applications such as Power BI Desktop, Power BI Service, SSRS, etc., to apply data transformation, data modeling, and any business logic or calculations to create interactive and visually appealing reports and dashboards for business users.
These reports provide insights or patterns that are useful for business users to understand the key areas of focus for driving business growth and any appropriate remedial measures to be taken.
Power BI Developers extensively collaborate with business analysts, data engineers, and business stakeholders to deliver effective business intelligence solutions.
Roles and Responsibilities
As a Power BI developer, typically, your roles and responsibilities will include the following:
- Design and create data models to support the data analysis and reporting needs. Integrate multiple data sources and formats to Power BI and transform them into a standardized format.
- Design data visualization and then apply customized formatting to create easy-to-understand visualizations.
- Optimize your complex data queries through DAX in Power BI (Data Analysis Expressions) for data manipulations and calculations.
- Implement data security measures to protect any sensitive data from unauthorized access.
- Publish Power BI reports and share them with stakeholders for effective collaboration within organizations.
- Provide the required training and support to stakeholders to understand the specific details of the reporting insights.
- A Power BI Developer should constantly be upgrading their skills so that they remain updated on the latest features to improve data visualization.
Note: The above pointers guide the various roles and responsibilities that a Power BI developer may play as part of their job profile. However, specific details may vary depending on the organization and job profile.
A Power BI developer is a specialized role, and to excel, you must be proficient in a variety of skills outlined below:
- A strong understanding of data analysis, data modeling, and data transformation concepts.
- Good understanding of database models, entity relationships, query optimization, and manipulation techniques
- Practical experience in the Power BI suite of applications and integration with the Microsoft ecosystem (For example, Azure, Online and third-party tools, etc.)
- Strong knowledge of design principles, star schema, and other data models in Power BI tools
- Ability to write complex DAX formulas for calculated columns, measures, and other objects for reporting
- Broad knowledge of M language and Power Query
- Strong communication and presentation skills to interact with business and IT stakeholders to understand requirements and build components
- Ability to troubleshoot issues independently and optimize the system performance
- Understanding of the functional domain, industry trends, and latest updates and features to Power BI
- Willingness to learn and continuously upskill the concepts of business intelligence
- Basic project management skills to organize and prioritize tasks effectively
How to become a Power BI Developer?
To become a good Power BI developer, you can follow the following tips.
- Perform a thorough study of the business intelligence concepts, including the data visualization principles.
- Build your knowledge base on data modeling, data querying, and data manipulation techniques.
- Build your expertise on Power BI tools and the associated interfaces for data visualization implementation.
- Learn the key concepts of Power BI features such as sharing and collaboration, Power BI Gateway, Power Query data transformation, M language, etc.
- Build technical expertise in data security, configuration, and administration for effective data control.
- Brush up your skills with regular practice and stay updated through official blogs, webinars, and YouTube videos.
- Create a portfolio of projects containing real-world datasets by applying your knowledge and concepts of Power BI features.
- Participate in internships or real-world problem-solving opportunities for hands-on experience in Power BI tools.
- Follow Microsoft’s official blogs and release notes to stay updated with the latest features and updates.
- Acquire Power BI developer certification offered by Microsoft, such as Data Analyst Associate or Power BI Developer Associate.
- Explore various Power BI developer courses offered by different platforms such as Microsoft Power BI Training, Online learning platforms (For example, Coursera, Udemy, etc.), and even in-person training
Power BI Developers can command very high salaries. However, these salaries vary based on many factors such as experience, location, the size of the employing organization, etc.
On average, a good Power BI Developer can earn a competitive salary, and the salaries may increase from entry-level to experienced positions.
According to some top-notch job search portals estimates, the average salary for a Power BI Developer in the United States can be as high as $108,643 per year with an estimated additional pay of $8,203 per year. Hence, the estimated total pay can be $116,847 per year. Additional pay may include cash bonuses, commission, tips, and profit sharing. Keeping this overall scenario in mind, the total pay range can be around $100K – $138K per year.
The total pay for the top few highest paying companies for a Power BI Developer in the United States are as follows:
- Microsoft: $155,391/yr
- AT&T: $116,551/yr
- Colaberry: $105,796/yr
- Conversantit: $104,028/yr
- NeutronIT Solutions: $100,612/yr
- Infosytech Solutions: $97,420/yr
- CCS Global Tech: $95,355/yr
Note: The salary range may differ in other countries depending on the economic and job market outlook.
Future Scope/Career Prospects
Power BI developer jobs are high in demand and with more organizations resorting to data visualization and digital adoptions, these numbers can only go further up in the days to come.
Given the popularity of the Power BI tool, professionals with expertise in this area can explore roles such as BI Analyst, Data Analyst, or even progress into more specialized areas like Data Science or Data Engineering.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Power BI, a tool offered by Microsoft, is a widely used and popular business intelligence tool adopted across different industries. It allows users to visualize and analyze data from various sources, create interactive reports, and share insights across an organization. With ever-rising demand for skilled Power BI resources year-on-year across different sectors, one can build a successful career in this field by gaining the required skillsets.
Power BI tools are widely used across multiple organizations for supporting data visualization requirements. This has led to a growing demand for skilled Power BI developer jobs. Major industry sectors such as finance, healthcare, retail, technology, consulting, etc. are among those actively hiring Power BI developers. We have outlined some of the key organizations that are actively seeking such professionals in their divisions including:
• Consulting firms such as Deloitte, Accenture, and Capgemini often need Power BI developers to assist clients with their business intelligence needs.
• Banks, investment firms, and other financial institutions use Power BI for data analysis, reporting, and business intelligence.
• Healthcare providers and organizations use Power BI to analyze patient data, monitor performance, and make informed decisions.
• Retailers leverage Power BI to analyze sales data, track inventory, and optimize business operations.
• IT and IT-enabled services companies extensively use Power BI to create KPIs, analytical visualizations, and monitor resource usage.
This has been a guide to Power BI Developer. Here we explain the roles & responsibilities, how to become power BI developer, future scope and its salary. You can learn more from the following articles –